7MMO
Moderator
During the hands-off presentation of Rainbow Six Tactics at Gamescom, destruction obviously featured. Walls were breached, cover was blown up, and masonry was peppered with rounds. It looked excellent, but it was also familiar from other turn-based tactical games. Considering the focus of scenery destruction in Rainbow Six Siege, I wasn't sure how the team were actually advancing the tech beyond what we've seen in games like XCOM 2.
There was one moment in the hands-off demo in particular that had me worried it was basically a graphical nicety. Sniper Glaz fired a high-powered round through two interior walls, headshotting a terrorist on the other side. The round left visible holes in the walls, but beyond being a neat bit of set redressing, it wasn't anything that we couldn't have seen in other turn-based tactical games. When I spoke to the developers, I wanted to know if there was anything else happening that I wasn't perceiving, something about the destruction that made it distinctly Siege-inspired.
Read more
Continue reading...