7MMO
Moderator
Optical click vs analogue click
Reaction times taken and averaged from Human Benchmark
Reaction time
Sensei Pro176.4
X3 Superstrike (level 3)
177
X3 Superstrike (level 1)
175.1
050100150200
Avg reaction time (ms)
| Product | Value |
|---|---|
| Sensei Pro | 176.4 |
| X3 Superstrike (level 3) | 177 |
| X3 Superstrike (level 1) | 175.1 |
Reaction time Data
The Logitech G Pro X3 Superstrike (and the X2 Superstrike) promises a reduction in latency between deciding to click and actually clicking, because you can reduce the button-press distance thanks to the analogue switches. Which is great on paper, but I wanted to see just how much of a difference it makes in practice.
I used the X2 Superstrike for a while after it came out, and I felt a difference while playing Counter-Strike, but it was difficult to know how much of that was placebo. So, now the X3 is out, I thought I'd actually test the difference compared to a mouse with regular clicks.
I used the Human Benchmark reaction test, and I have done so much reactive clicking this morning that I now feel I never want to engage that part of my brain again. I did 150 reactive clicks total—50 for the SteelSeries Sensei Pro, 50 for the X3 Superstrike at its lowest actuation distance (level 1), and 50 for at level 3. I made sure to swap between the mice quite frequently to ensure it wasn't just a case of me improving over time. All worth it in the name of science.
Anyway, enough preamble, let's get to it. You'll see from the chart above that, compared to the Sensei Pro, with the Superstrike I perform... about the same. I'm not comfortable saying that 1 ms difference at level 1 is due to anything other than natural variance, especially given I actually scored worse at level 3 than with the Sensei Pro.
The chart below shows the distribution of various testers' click latency on the Human Benchmark website.
This is the distribution of various testers' click latency on the Human Benchmark website. (Image credit: Human Benchmark, humanbenchmark.com)
Now, it's probably the case that if I spent eight hours straight testing this, gathering thousands of click results, there might be a clearer difference. But that the difference isn't visible over 150 reaction tests is significant, especially given there was tons of variance between those actual results. I got some results very close to 200 ms with every mouse at every setting, and I got some close to 150 ms with every mouse at every setting.
What that tells me is that while it could be true that in the long run I could have slightly faster reactions with the Superstrike, in each individual case it's very much up in the air. Probably orders of magnitude more influenced by how much sleep I've had, how hydrated I am, and so on.
That being said, if you're a pro player who has more consistent and faster reaction time than me, I could see the faster clicks being more important.
Give it a test yourself at Human Benchmark and let us know where you score on the curve!
Continue reading...