7MMO
Moderator
There was a time when open worlds made of flying islands really seemed like the New Hotness. I guess The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is the obvious trendsetter, but my mind always returns to Bossa's ill-fated aerial MMO Worlds Adrift. I have fond memories of a preview session in which a developer and I tried to rebuild a wildly rolling airship in a hurricane. We failed, but a good time was had plummeting and dying.
More recently, we've had Lost Skies (another Bossa joint, born of Worlds Adrift's crashlanded remains), Bohemia's Hytales-ish Everwind, and the curiously fungal Aloft, none of which appear to have slipped the surly bonds of Earth and touched the face of the Steam Top 20 Most Played. Still, the zeppelin fanciers among game developers keep trying to make fetch happen. Here's a trailer for Atmosfar, which now has an early access release date - 29th October.
Read more
Continue reading...